|Designer: Colette||Pattern: Sorbetto|
|Type of fabric: Cotton|
|Amount of fabric used: 1m (110cm wide)|
|Notions I used: Thread, Bias Binding|
|Bust: 34″||Waist: 31″||Hips: 41″|
|Cut Size: Number 2|
Date: 28th April
I wanted to pop into Guthrie & Ghani (G & G, Moseley) to have a look at some fabrics for planned garment but I ended up coming away with everything but what I went in for, ha ha nothing new there.
I didn’t know what I was going to make out of any of the 3 fabrics I brought but I couldn’t resist.
I came across the Colette – Sorbetto top that is a free download. Update: more versions now available (sleeveless, sleeved top and sleeveless tunic length)
I downloaded the pattern (PDF) and stuck it together and looked at the pattern sizes against my own body measurements, in between sizes = toile to be made.
This pattern requires 1.4m / 1 1/2 Yards….. I only had 1m but I did just about get the pattern pieces out of it. As you can probably guess I didn’t have enough fabric left to make my own bias binding so I brought some ready made using a colour that was as close to the main fabric as possible. I decided to make a toile first due to being in between sizes and decided on size #2.
pattern design details / fit is explained in the image below (right) and style / versions (left)
The pattern is simple to make and instructions are easy to follow. It has been one of the easiest garments to make so far 🙂 I overlocked all the seam allowances including the hem (you could zigzag the seams if you don’t have an overlocker), Bias bound the neckline and arms holes (may look at a different method for my next one) and top stitched the hem in place, another skill I need to improve. (I would like to learn new methods for hemming)
After finishing the garment and trying it on it did feel a bit tight, even after making a toile, so I adjusted the seam allowance (S.A) to 1cm instead of a 1.5cm under the arms to allow for more room, however, I am a little confused by this because the finished garments measurements are bigger than my body measurements, ermm!! The underarm also felt too high but this may be due to the type of fabric I used, it’s not as soft and doesn’t have as much drape as the pattern calls for, something like a rayon or lawn. It was also a little short but this was my own fault, as I mentioned above I just about squeezed this pattern out of less fabric than the pattern requires. doh!!!
The pattern is a nice one to make even with all the issues I have mentioned above but majority of them are my naivety and being new to dress making but the top is wearable. As everyone says.. it’s a wearable toile.
Notes for next time:
* Look at finished garment sizes
* Lengthen the bodice by about 4 cm
* Look at adjusting the arm hole – need to understand how to do this.
* Use a 1cm seam allowance – only if using a size #2
* Use a different fabric.
Thanks for popping by, please feel free to comment or ask any questions. x
8 thoughts on “Colette Sorbetto Top”
Nice sorbetto, I love the pleat in the middle. I’m making mine this weekend. 😀
Thank you Carmen, it is a pretty summer top especially now that Colette has added more styles to this pattern. My next one will be in a fabric with more drape (note to self). Which version are you making? x
I’m making version 3 however I think I’m going to modify the sleeves a bit to jazz it up 😀
I like that version too, I need adapt the sleeve hole as it was quite high under my arms but I’m intrigued by your sleeve idea 🤔😊 x
I’m almost done with mine. I just have to work on the skirt. Will post on my blog the final results 😀
Wow that was quick, Iook forward to seeing your outfit. x
Thank you! I’m a bit obsessed at the moment with dressmaking. 😊
You have caught the sewing bug, yay!! It can become an obsession but you can loose it too but it always cone back. I am making the Betty dress by Sew Over It, it has taken a couple of days but I have enjoyed the long process and the fact I have made no mistakes is a bonus 😊